It may be hard to find disinfectant wipes during these scary and crazy times with the Coronavirus right now, but don’t let not being able to provide a sanitary household be an extra stresser to your life. You may be surprised at just how easy and cost effective making your own household cleaners can be.
This website has great ideas and a whole lot of information about regulations put in place by the Center of Disease Control to make sure your homemade antibacterial wipes are totally disinfecting and clean your home.
Here is a brief summary of their recipe I just had to try and share.
- 3 cups alcohol 70 proof or higher CDC suggests this is the amount needed to kill bacteria
- 3/4 teaspoon hydrogen peroxide
- 20 drops lemon essential oil astringent, detoxifying, antiseptic, disinfectant and anti-fungal properties
- 15 drops clove essential oil, or tea tree oil antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antifungal properties
- 10 drops cinnamon bark essential oil good for rashes and infections but smells so good
- 5 drops eucalyptus radiata essential oil anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, decongestant, deodorant, and antiseptic
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil natural pesticide, and supports respiratory function
**All these oils have many other benefits so you can feel good about using these wipes around kids and pets.
Pour the contents into an airtight container and add your wipes. There are many different types of materials you could use for wipes. Old cut up tee shirts (my method), reusable bamboo paper towels, durable paper towels, or even rags/ old hand towels. You can wash these wipes and re-use them again or recycle them if you so choose. I rolled up the squares I cut up and put them in the jar. I was really surprised at how good this recipe smelled. Take a look at how mine turned out.
Other recipes for antibacterial wipes
Step 2 : Add in tea tree essential oil and lavender essential oil, if using.
Step 3: Fold wipes into container, and then pour solution over to saturate.
Hope you can try some of these recipes and let me know if they work for you.